Retain Customer by Extending the Next Billing Date
You can change the next billing date for a customer's subscription to retain customers. The following contains relevant information about this use case:
Preconditions and Considerations
- The subscription has the status Active.
- The date to which the next billing date is updated must be in the future. If the date must be set to today, set it at least one minute in the future.
- On June 26th, a customer’s Social Gaming subscription automatically renews for $29.95 for the new monthly billing interval.
- On July 23rd, the customer decides to relocate for three months to a country in which low Internet bandwidth makes use of the subscription impossible. The customer calls the client to cancel the subscription.
- Your customer service representative goes to an intranet page that uses the Get Subscription API endpoint to retrieve details on the customer’s subscription.
- The customer service representative offers to waive monthly billing for three months (until September 26th) while the customer is out of the country. After a brief negotiation, the customer agrees that, instead of canceling, the subscription should remain active and that monthly recurring billing can resume on October 10th.
- The customer service representative sets the next billing date to October 10th using an intranet page that uses the Update Next Billing Date API endpoint.
- On October 10th, the Cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer $29.95 for the new Social Gaming subscription monthly billing interval.
Obtain the customer's consent for changes to subscriptions. For more information, see Best Practices: Obtain Customer Consent.
In the call to the Update Next Billing Date API endpoint, pass the following two parameters:
|Parameter||Set to Value|
|The unique identifier for the customer's subscription.|
|The next billing date of the subscription.|
Updated about 2 months ago