Bill Customer for Excess Usage
You can charge your customers for excess usage (overage). The following contains relevant information about this use case:
- On March 17th, a customer purchases a SaaS data storage subscription that consists of two subscription items billed on a recurring basis as follows:
- Base usage: €50 for up to 500 gigabytes, billed at the start of the monthly billing interval
- Excess usage: Storage used in excess of 500 gigabytes, billed at €1 per 25 gigabytes used and billed in arrears
- The same day, the Cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer €50 for the base usage subscription item.
- At the end of the day on April 16th, the client applies a formula to activity records in its data centers to calculate the quantity of excess usage for each customer.
- The same day, you run a program that uses the Update Subscription Item endpoint to update the subscription's usage quantity in the Cleverbridge platform. This program calculates usage for each subscription with a renewal date of April 17th.
- On April 17th, the Cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer €58, which is the sum of €50 for base usage and €8 for 200 gigabytes in excess.
This use case calls the Update Subscription Item API endpoint as described below:
|Parameter||Set to Value|
|The unique identifier of the subscription.|
|2 (Excess usage is the second of the two subscription items.)|
|Product ID for the subscription item usage.|
|Quantity of excess usage.|
|See the note below|
UpdateActionparameter is currently used for documentation and tracking only. The value set does not affect transaction processing.
The supported values are as follows:
- For upgrades, set the parameter to
upgrade(or 1 for JSON)
- For downgrades, set the parameter to
downgrade, (or 2 for JSON)
- For all other changes, set the parameter to
update(or 0 for JSON)
Although not utilized in this use case, the following options are also available:
- Reduce the price of the excess usage subscription item by applying a discount coupon that was set up in the Cleverbridge platform.
- Suppress generation of the confirmation email to the customer for the transaction.
The Cleverbridge platform generates an email for new purchases that cannot be suppressed.
Updated 2 months ago