Renew a Data-Limited Subscription Early at Custom Price
The following contains relevant information about this use case:
Preconditions and Considerations
- The current billing interval has started and the next billing date has not been reached yet.
- Any changes made, including the price and/or quantity, apply to all future billing events unless modified subsequently.
- Use of the
CustomerPriceparameter in the API response is optional. Before doing so, see Understand Customer Price.
- The renewal is not combined with an alignment of the subscription.
- Use the
AlignmentSettingsparameter for the subscription in the API response is required. Before doing so, see Get Started with Subscription API > Alignment Settings.
- On January 1st, 2020, a customer signs up for a publisher's proxy service for $80 monthly. The plan has a data limit of 5GB for the month.
- On January 15th, 2020, the customer used up the 5GB data limit and receives an email from the publisher. The publisher tells the customer that they can regain access to the service by renewing immediately at a discounted price of $75. The message redirects the customer to a page that uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to obtain and display the price, new expiration date (February 15th, 2020), and other details regarding the subscription.
- After reviewing this information, the customer confirms this purchase by clicking a Renew Now button on the page. The page uses the Update Subscription Item API endpoint to renew the customer's subscription immediately at the discounted price.
- The Cleverbridge platform bills the customer the discounted $75 price for the next billing interval, which starts immediately and ends on February 15th, 2020.
- The customer sees a confirmation page, which is either created by the publisher or provided by the Subscription API. If the transaction is not successful, the page provided by the API will inform the customer about the next steps, such as updating the payment details in case of a failed payment.
For more information on how to achieve this particular use case, see Integration Guide.
Although not utilized in this use case, the following options are also available:
- Renew early at full price. For more information, see Renew a Data-Limited Subscription Early at Full Price.
- Combine the early renewal with an upgrade of the subscription. For more information, see Combine an Upgrade with an Early Full-Price Renewal of a Data-Limited Subscription.
- Combine the early renewal with a custom-price upgrade of the subscription. For more information, see Combine an Upgrade with an Early Custom-Price Renewal of a Data-Limited Subscription.
- Combine the early renewal with a downgrade of the subscription. For more information, see Combine a Downgrade with an Early Full-Price Renewal of a Data-Limited Subscription.
Get the customer's consent for changes to subscriptions. For more information, see Best Practices: Obtain Customer Consent.
Updated about 1 month ago