Make Quantity and Quantity-Based Price Changes Immediately
You can apply a tiered or volume-based price change with a quantity change effective immediately. The following contains relevant information about this use case:
Cases in which the resulting pro-rated billing calculation results in a negative amount are not supported.
Preconditions and Considerations
- The subscription has the status Active.
- Any changes made, including the price and/or quantity, apply to all future billing events unless modified subsequently.
- Use of the
CustomerPriceparameter in the API response is required. Before doing so, see Understand Customer Price.
- Use the
AlignmentSettingsparameter for the subscription in the API response is required. Before doing so, see Get Started with Subscription API > Alignment Settings.
For more information on which API endpoint to use, see Guidelines for When to Use UpdateSubscriptionItem vs. UpdateSubscriptionItemPrice.
- On April 7th, you email customers whose subscriptions include 10 user accounts or less with a special offer to increase the number of user accounts at volume discount prices.
- On April 11th, a customer, who currently pays 15€ monthly for 10 user accounts, clicks on the “Buy Now” link in the promotional email and is redirected to a landing page that displays the following price table:
|Total User Accounts||New Monthly Price per User Account|
|20 – 49||10€|
|50 – 99||7.50€|
|100 or more||5€|
- The customer decides to purchase 30 additional user accounts, for a total of 40. They enter 40 in an entry field below the table and click a “Calculate Prices” icon on the page.
- The page uses the Update Subscription Item Price to calculate the pro-rated price between the current date and the May 1st renewal date for the 30 additional user accounts. The page also calculates the renewal price and then displays the following to the customer:
Pro-rated price for 30 user accounts (to be billed immediately): 200€
Renewal price for 40 user accounts (to be billed on February 2): 400€
- After reviewing this information, the customer confirms that they want to proceed. The page uses the Update Subscription Item Price to update the user account quantity and price in the Cleverbridge platform. The Cleverbridge platform automatically bills the pro-rated price for 30 additional user accounts for the remainder of the current billing interval.
- On May 1st, the Cleverbridge platform automatically bills the customer 400€ for the next monthly billing interval.
To achieve this particular use case, set the parameters in the Update Subscription Item Price API call to the values listed in the table.
|Parameter||Set to Value|
|The unique identifier of the subscription.|
|1 (it is assumed that the Desktop License item is the only item in the subscription).|
|See the note at the end of this section.|
UpdateActionparameter is currently used for documentation and tracking only. The value set does not affect transaction processing.
The supported values are as follows:
- For upgrades, set the parameter to
upgrade(or 1 for JSON)
- For downgrades, set the parameter to
downgrade, (or 2 for JSON)
- For all other changes, set the parameter to
update(or 0 for JSON)
Updated 2 months ago